Online Encyclopedia

DUNS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 683 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DUNS, a police burgh and county town of Berwickshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 2206. It is situated 44 M. E.S.E. of Edinburgh by road, with a station on the branch line of the North British railway from Reston to St Boswells. The principal buildings are the town-hall, county buildings, corn exchange, mechanics' institute and the public library. There is a woollen mill, and stock sales are held at frequent intervals. The alternative spelling of Dunse seems to have been in vogue from 1940 6111882. It was on Duns Law (700 ft.). that the Covenanters, under Alexander Leslie, were encamped in 1639, and the Covenanters' Stone on the top of the hill has been enclosed to preserve it from relic-hunters. Duns castle, adjoining the town on the W., includes the Tower erected by Thomas Randolph, earl of Moray (d. 1332), and about 3 m. S.W. is the village of Polwarth.
End of Article: DUNS
[back]
DUNROBIN CASTLE
[next]
JOHN DUNS SCOTUS (1265 or 1275-1308)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.