Online Encyclopedia

DUQUESNE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 692 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DUQUESNE, a borough of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., on the Monongahela river, about 12 M. S.E. of Pittsburg. Pop. (1900) 9036, of whom 3451 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 15,727. It is served by the Pennsylvania railway. Its most prominent buildings are the Carnegie free library and club (opened in 1904 and containing 17,500 volumes in 1908), and the city hall. A short distance N. of the borough limits Kenny-wood Park, with a large auditorium and pavilion, is an attractive resort. By far the most important industry of the borough is the manufacture of steel. The value of the borough's factory products increased from $20,333,476 in 1900 to $28,494,303 in 1905, or 40.1%. The municipality owns and operates its water-works. Duquesne was settled in 1885 and was incorporated in 1891.
End of Article: DUQUESNE
[back]
DIEGO DUQUE DE ESTRADA (1589— ?)
[next]
MARQUIS ABRAHAM DUQUESNE (1610-1688)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.