Online Encyclopedia

EBERSWALDE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 842 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
EBERSWALDE, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Prussia, 28 m. N.E. of Berlin by rail; on the Finow canal. Pop. (1905) 23,876. Thb town has a Roman Catholic and two Evangelical churches, a school of forestry, a gymnasium, a higher-grade girls' school and two schools of domestic economy. It possesses a mineral spring, which attracts numerous summer visitors, and has various industries, which include iron-founding and the making of horse-shoe nails, roofing material and bricks. A considerable trade is carried on in grain, wood and coals. In the immediate neighbourhood are one of the chief brass-foundries in Germany and an extensive government paper-mill, in which the paper for the notes of the imperial bank is manufactured. Eberswalde received its municipal charter in 1257. It was taken and sacked during the Thirty Years' War. In 1747 Frederick the Great brought a colony of Thuringian cutlers to the town, but this branch of industry has entirely died out. About 4 M. to the north lies the old Cistercian monastery of Chorin, the fine Gothic church of which contains the tombs of several margraves of Brandenburg.
End of Article: EBERSWALDE
[back]
GEORG MORITZ EBERS (1837-1898)
[next]
FRIEDRICH ADOLF EBERT (1791-1834)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.