Online Encyclopedia

EKATERINODAR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 139 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
EKATERINODAR, a town of South Russia, chief town of the province of Kuban, on the right bank of the river Kuban, 85 m. E.N.E. of Novo-rossiysk on the railway to Rostov-on-Don, and in 450 3' N. and 38° 50' E. It is badly built, on a swampy site exposed to the inundations of the river; and its houses, with few exceptions, are slight structures of wood and plaster. Founded by Catherine II. in 1794 on the site of an old town called Tmutarakan, as a small fort and Cossack settlement, its population grew from 9620 in ,86o to 65,697 in 1897. It has various technical schools, an experimental fruit-farm, a military hospital, and a natural history museum. A considerable trade is carried on, especially in cereals.
End of Article: EKATERINODAR
[back]
EKATERINBURG
[next]
EKATERINOSLAV

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.