Online Encyclopedia

ELISAVETGRAD

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 280 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ELISAVETGRAD, a fortress and town of Russia, in the government of Kherson, 296 m. by rail N.E. of Odessa on the Balta-Kremenchug railway, and on the Ingul river, in 48° 31' N. and 32° 10' E. The population increased from 23,725 in 186o to 66,182 in r9oo. The town is regularly built, with wide streets, some of them lined with trees, and is a wealthy town, which has become an industrial centre for the region especially on account of its steam flour-mills, in which it is second only to Odessa, its distilleries, mechanical workshops, tobacco and tallow factories and brickworks. It is an important centre for trade in cereals and flour for export, and in sheep, cattle, wool, leather and timber. Five fairs are held annually. It has a military school, a first-class meteorological station and a botanical garden. The town was founded in 1754 and named after the empress Elizabeth. The fortifications are now decayed.
End of Article: ELISAVETGRAD
[back]
ELIS, or ELEIA
[next]
ELISAVETPOL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.