Online Encyclopedia

ELLICHPUR, or ILLICHPUR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 291 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ELLICHPUR, or ILLICHPUR, a town of India in the Amraoti district of Berar. Pop. (Igor) 26,082. It is first mentioned authentically in the 13th century as " one of the famous cities of the Deccan." Though tributary to the Mahommedans after 1294, it remained under Hindu administration till 1318, when it came directly under the Mahommedans. It was afterwards capital of the province of Berar at intervals until the Mogul occupation, when the seat of the provincial governor was moved to Balapur. The town retains many relics of the nawabs of Berar. It has ginning factories and a considerable trade in cotton and forest produce. It is connected by good roads with Amraoti and Chikalda. It was formerly the headquarters of the district of Ellichpur, which had an area of 2605 sq. m. and a population in 1901 of 297,403. This district, however, was merged in that of Amraoti in 1905. The civil station of Paratwada, 2 M. from the town of Ellichpur, contains the principal public buildings.
End of Article: ELLICHPUR, or ILLICHPUR
[back]
ELLICE (LAGOON) ISLANDS
[next]
JOHN ELLIOTSON (1791-1868)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.