Online Encyclopedia

ELLORE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 294 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ELLORE, a town of British India, in the Kistna district of Madras, on the East Coast railway, 303 M. from Madras. Pop. (1901) 33,521. The two canal systems of the Godavari and the Kistna deltas meet here. There are manufactures of cotton and saltpetre, and an important Church of England high school. Ellore was formerly a military station, and the capital of the Northern Circars. At Pedda Vegi to the north of it are extensive ruins, which are believed to be remains of the Buddhist kingdom of Vengi. From these the Mahommedans, after their conquest of the district in 1470, obtained material for building a fort at Ellore.
End of Article: ELLORE
[back]
ELLORA
[next]
ELLSWORTH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.