Online Encyclopedia

ELLSWORTH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 295 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ELLSWORTH, a city, port of entry and the county seat of Hancock county, Maine, U.S.A., at the head of navigation on the Union river (and about 34 M. from its mouth), about 30 M. S.E. of Bangor. Pop. (1890) 4804; (1900) 4297 (189 foreign-born) ; (1910) 3549• It is served by the Maine Central railway. The fall of the river, about 85 ft. in 2 m., furnishes good water-power, and the city has various manufactures, including lumber, shoes, woollens, sails, carriages and foundry and machine shopproducts, besides a large lumber trade. Shipbuilding was formerly important. There is a large United States fish hatchery here. The city is the port of entry for the Frenchman's Bay customs district, but its foreign trade is unimportant. Ellsworth was first settled in 1763 and for some time was called New Bowdoin; but when it was incorporated as a town in 1800 the present name was adopted in honour of Oliver Ellsworth. A city charter was secured in 1869.
End of Article: ELLSWORTH
[back]
ELLORE
[next]
OLIVER ELLSWORTH (1745–1807)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.