Online Encyclopedia

EMMERICH (the ancient Embrica)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 342 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
EMMERICH (the ancient Embrica), a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, on the right bank of the Rhine and the railway from Cologne to Amsterdam, 5 M. N.E. of Cleves. Pop. (1905) 12,578. It has a considerable shipping trade, and manufactories of tobacco and cigars, chocolate, margarine, oil, chemicals, brushes, vinegar, soap, guano and perfumery. There are also iron foundries and machine factories. The old minster church, built in the middle of the 11th century, contains some fine choir stalls. Emmerich, formerly called Embrika and Emrik, originally a Roman colony, is mentioned in records so early as the 7th century. St Willibrord founded a monastery and church here. In 1233 the place came into the possession of the dukes of Gelderland and received the status of a town in 1247. In 1371 it fell to the duchy of Cleves, and passed with it in 1609 to Brandenburg. The town joined the Hanseatic League in 1407. In 1794 it was bombarded by the French under General Vandamme, and in 18o6 it was assigned to the grand-duchy of Berg. It passed into the possession of Prussia in 1815. See A. Dederich, Annalen der Stadt Emmerich (Emmerich, 1867).
End of Article: EMMERICH (the ancient Embrica)
[back]
EMMENDINGEN
[next]
ROBERT EMMET (1778-1803)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.