Online Encyclopedia

ENGLEWOOD

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 455 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ENGLEWOOD, a city of Bergen county, New Jersey, U.S.A., near the Hudson river, 14 M. N. by E. of Jersey City. Pop. (1900) 6253, of whom 1548 were foreign-born and 386 negroes; (1905) 7922; (1910) 9924. It is served by a branch of the Erie railway, and by an electric line connecting with a ferry (at Fort Lee) to New York. Englewood is primarily a residential suburb of New York. The site rises terrace above terrace from the marshes in the valley of the Hackensack to the top of the palisades overlooking the Hudson, from which Englewood is separated by the borough of Englewood Cliffs (pop. in 1905, 266). There are several fine residences, a hospital, a public library and the Dwight school for girls (1859). The site of Englewood was for a long time a part of " English Neighbourhood," and was known as Liberty Pole; but until 1859, when the place was laid out, there were only a few houses here, one of which was the " Liberty Pole Tavern." In 1871 Englewood was set off from the township of Hackensack and was incorporated as a separate township, and in 1896 it was chartered as a city; but the act under which it was chartered was declared unconstitutional, and in 1899 Englewood was rechartered as a city by a special act of the state legislature.
End of Article: ENGLEWOOD
[back]
GEORGE ENGLEHEART (1752-1829)
[next]
ENGLISH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.