Online Encyclopedia

ESSEGG ESSEG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 778 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ESSEGG ESSEG or ESSEK (Hung. Esszek; Croatian Osjek), a royal free town, municipality, and capital of the county of Virovitica (Verocze), in Croatia-Slavonia, on the right bank of the Drave, 9 M. W. of its confluence with the Danube, and 185 m. S. of Buda-Pest by rail. Pop. (1900) 24,930; chiefly Magyars and Croats, with a few Germans and Jews. At Esseg the Drave is crossed by two bridges, and below these it is navigable by small steamers. The upper town, with the fortress, is under military authority; the new town and the lower town, which is the headquarters of commerce, are under civil authority. The only buildings of note are the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches, Franciscan and Capuchin monasteries, synagogue, gymnasium, modern school, hospital, chamber of commerce, and law-courts. Esseg has a thriving trade in grain, fruit, live-stock, plum-brandy and timber. Tanning, silk-weaving and glass-blowing are also carried on. Esseg owes its origin to its fortress, which existed as early as the time of the Romans under the name of Mursia; though the present structure dates only from 1720. At the beginning of the Hungarian revolution of 1848 the town was held by the Hungarians, but on the 4th of February 1849 it was taken by the Austrians under General Baron Trebersberg.
End of Article: ESSEGG ESSEG
[back]
ESSAYIST ESSAY (Fr. essai, Late Lat. exagium, a wei...
[next]
ESSEN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.