Online Encyclopedia

ESTELLA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 794 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ESTELLA, a town of northern Spain, in the province of Navarre, on the left bank of the river Ega, 15 M. W.S.W. of Pamplona. Pop. (1900) 5736. Estella, which occupies the site of a Roman town of uncertain name, contains several monasteries and churches, a medieval citadel, and a college which was formerly a university. Its principal industries are the manufacture of woollen and linen fabrics and brandy-making; and it has a considerable trade in fruit, wine and cattle. Estella commands several defiles on the roads from Castile and Aragon, and on that account occupies a position of considerable strategic importance. It was long the headquarters of Don Carlos, who was proclaimed king here in 1833. In 1873 it was the chief stronghold of the Carlists, and in 1874, when driven from other places, they succeeded in retiring to Estella. On the 16th of February 1876 the Carlists in the town surrendered unconditionally. For an account of the Carlist rising see SPAIN: History.
End of Article: ESTELLA
[back]
ESTE (anc. Ateste, q.v.)
[next]
ESTERHAZY OF GALANTHA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.