Online Encyclopedia

FELTRE (anc. Feltria)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 247 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FELTRE (anc. Feltria), a town and episcopal see of Venetia, Italy, in the province of Belluno, 20 M. W.S.W. of it by rail, situated on an isolated hill, 885 ft. above sea-level. Pop. (1901) 5468 (town), 15,243 (commune). The cathedral has a fine polygonal apse of the 16th century. The Palazzo del Consiglio, now a theatre, is attributed to Palladio. At one end of the chief square of the town, the Piazza Maggiore, is the cistern by which the town is supplied with water, and a large fountain. Thereare some remains of the medieval castle. The ancient Feltria, which lay on the road (Via Claudia) from Opitergium to Tridenturn, does not seem to have been a place of any importance under the Romans. Vittorino dei Rambaldoni da Feltre (1378-1446) was a famous educator and philosopher of his time.
End of Article: FELTRE (anc. Feltria)
[back]
JOHN FELTON (c. 1595-1628)
[next]
MORTO DA FELTRE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.