Online Encyclopedia

FERMOY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 278 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FERMOY, a market town in the east riding of Co. Cork, Ireland, in the north-east parliamentary division, 21 M. by road N.E. of Cork, and 14 M. E. of Mallow by a branch of the Great Southern & Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 6126. It is situated on the river Blackwater, which divides the town into two parts, the larger of which is on the southern bank, and there the trade of the town, which is chiefly in flour and agricultural produce, is mainly carried on. The town has several good streets and some noteworthy buildings. Of the latter, the most prominent are the military barracks on the north bank of the river, the Protestant church, the Roman Catholic cathedral and St Colman's Roman Catholic college. Fermoy rose to importance only at the beginning of the loth century, owing entirely to the devotion of John Anderson, a citizen, on becoming landlord. The town is a centre for salmon and trout fishing on the Blackwater and its tributary the Funshion. The neighbouring scenery is attractive, especially in the Glen of Araglin, once famed for its ironworks.
End of Article: FERMOY
[back]
FERMO (anc. 1%irmum Picenum)
[next]
FERN (from O. Eng. fearn, a word common to Teutonic...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.