Online Encyclopedia

FERMO (anc. 1%irmum Picenum)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 278 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FERMO (anc. 1%irmum Picenum), a town and archiepiscopal see of the Marches, Italy, in the province of Ascoli Piceno, on a hill with a fine view, 1046 ft. above sea-level, on a branch from Porto S. Giorgio on the Adriatic coast railway. Pop. (1901) town, 16,577, commune 20,542. The summit of the hill was occupied by the citadel until 1446. It is crowned by the cathedral, reconstructed in 1227 by Giorgio da Como; the fine facade and campanile of this period still remain, and the side In 1199 it became a free city, and remained independent until 1550, when it became subject to the papacy. (T. As.)
End of Article: FERMO (anc. 1%irmum Picenum)
[back]
FERMENTATION
[next]
FERMOY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.