Online Encyclopedia

FETTERCAIRN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 296 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FETTERCAIRN, a burgh of barony of Kincardineshire, Scotland, 41 M. N.W. of Laurencekirk. Pop. of parish (Igor) 1390. The chief structures include a public hall, library and reading-room, and the arch built to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria in 1861. The most interesting relic, however, is the market cross, which originally belonged to the extinct town of Kincardine. To the S.W. is Balbegno Castle, dating from 1509, and planned on a scale that threatened to ruin its projector. It contains a lofty hall of fine proportions. Two miles N. is Fasque, the estate of the Gladstones, which was acquired in 1831 by Sir John Gladstone (1764-1851), the father of W. E. Gladstone. The castle, which stands in beautiful grounds, was built in 1809. Sir John Gladstone's tomb is in the Episcopal church of St Andrew, which he erected and endowed. In the immediate vicinity are the ruins of the royal castle of Kincardine, where, according to tradition, Kenneth III. was assassinated in 1005, although he is more generally said to have been slain in battle at Monzievaird, near Crieff in Perthshire.
End of Article: FETTERCAIRN
[back]
FETISHISM
[next]
FETTERS AND HANDCUFFS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.