Online Encyclopedia

FIGUEIRA DA FOZ, or FIGUEIRA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 334 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FIGUEIRA DA FOZ, or FIGUEIRA, a seaport of central Portugal, in the district of Coimbra, formerly included in the province of Beira; on the north bank of the river Mondego, at its mouth, and at the terminus of the Lisbon-Figueira and Guarda-Figueira railways. Pop. (1900) 6221. Figueira da Foz is an important fishing-station, and one of the headquarters of the coasting trade in grain, fruit, wine, olive oil, cork and coal; but owing to the bar at the mouth of the Mondego large ships cannot enter. Glass is manufactured, and the city attracts many visitors by its excellent climate and sea-bathing. A residential suburb, the Bairro Novo, exists chiefly for their accommodation, to the north-west of the old town. Figueira is connected by a tramway running 4 M. N. W. with Buarcos (pop. 5033) and with the coal-mines of Cape Mondego. Lavos (pop. 7939), on the south bank of the Mondego, was the principal landing-place of the British troops which came, in 18o8, to take part in the Peninsular War. Figueira da Foz received the title and privileges of city by a decree dated the loth of September 1882.
End of Article: FIGUEIRA DA FOZ, or FIGUEIRA
[back]
FIGS 58
[next]
FIGUERAS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.