Online Encyclopedia

FLAVIGNY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 484 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FLAVIGNY, a town of eastern France, in the department of Cote-d'Or, situated on a promontory overlooking the river Ozerain, 33 M. W.N.W. of Dijon by road. Pop. (1906) 725. Among its antiquities are the remains of an abbey of the 8th century, which has been rebuilt as a factory for the manufacture of anise, an industry connected with the town as early as the 17th century. There is also a church of the 13th and 15th centuries, containing carved stalls (15th century) and a fine rood-screen (early 16th century). A Dominican convent, some old houses and ancient gateways are also of interest. About 3 M. north-west of Flavigny rises Mont Auxois, the probable site of the ancient Alesia, where Caesar in A.D. 52 defeated the Gallic chieftain Vercingetorix, to whom a statue has been erected on the summit of the height. Numerous remains of the Gallo-Roman period have been discovered on the hill.
End of Article: FLAVIGNY
[back]
FLAVIAN II
[next]
FLAVIN (Lat. flavus, yellow)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.