Online Encyclopedia

FLUME (through an O. Fr. word glum, f...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 575 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
FLUME (through an O. Fr. word glum, from the Lat. "lumen, a river), a word formerly used for a stream, and parti, ularly for the tail of a mill-race. It is used in America for a very narrow gorge running between precipitous rocks, with a stream at the bottom, but more frequently is applied to an artificial channel of wood or other material for the diversion of a stream of water from a river for purposes of irrigation, for running a saw-mill, or for various processes in the hydraulic method of gold-mining (see AQUEDUCT).
End of Article: FLUME (through an O. Fr. word glum, from the Lat. "lumen, a river)
FLUKE (probably connected with the Ger. flack, flat...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.