Online Encyclopedia

FOCHABERS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 587 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FOCHABERS, a burgh of barony and village of Elginshire, Scotland. Pop. (Igor) 981. It is delightfully situated on the Spey, about 9 M. E. by S. of Elgin, the terminus of a branch of the Highland railway connecting at Orbliston Junction with the main line from Elgin to Keith. The town was rebuilt in its present situation at the end of the 18th century, when its earlier site was required for alterations in the grounds of Gordon Castle, in which the old town cross still stands. The streets all lead at right angles to the central square, where fairs and markets are held. The public buildings include a library and reading-room, the court-house and the Milne school, named after Alexander Milne, who endowed it with a legacy of £20,000. Adjoining the town, surrounded by a park containing many magnificent old trees, stands Gordon Castle, the chief seat of the duke of Richmond and Gordon, erected in the 18th century. The antiquary George Chalmers (1742–1825) and the composer William Marshall (1748–1833) were natives of the burgh.
End of Article: FOCHABERS
[back]
FOCAL PLANE
[next]
FOCSHANI (Rumanian Focrani, sometimes incorrectly w...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.