Online Encyclopedia

FORST (originally FORSTA or FORSTE)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 674 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FORST (originally FORSTA or FORSTE), a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Brandenburg, on the Neisse; 44 M. S.E. of Frankfort-on-Oder. Pop. (1905) 33,757. It has two Evangelical, a Roman Catholic and an Old Lutheran church; there are two schools and two hospitals in the town. The chief industry of Forst is the manufacture of cloth, but spinning, dyeing and the making of artificial flowers are also carried on. Founded in the 13th century, Forst passed in 1667 to the duke of Saxe-Merseburg, becoming part of electoral Saxony in 1740. It was ceded to Prussia in 1815.
End of Article: FORST (originally FORSTA or FORSTE)
[back]
HANS LUDVIG FORSSELL (1843-1901)
[next]
FRANCOIS FORSTER (179o-,872)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.