Online Encyclopedia

FOSTORIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V10, Page 734 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FOSTORIA, a city, partly in Seneca, partly in Hancock, and partly in Wood county, Ohio, U.S.A., 35 M. S. by E. of Toledo. Pop. (1890) 7070; (1900) 7730 (584 foreign-born); (1910) 9597, It is served by the Baltimore & Ohio, the New York, Chicago & St Louis, the Ohio Central; the Lake Erie & Western, and the Hocking Valley railways, and by two interurban electric lines. The city is situated in an agricultural region, and oil abounds in the vicinity. Among the city's manufactures are glass, flour, planing mill products, brass and iron, carriages, barrels, incandescent lamps, carbons, wire nails and fences, automobile engines and parts, railway torpedoes and muslin underwear. The waterworks are owned and operated by the municipality. In 1832, upon the coming of the first settlers, two towns, Rome and Risdon, were laid out on the site of what is now Fostoria. A bitter rivalry arose between them, but they were finally united under one government, and the city thus formed was named in honour of Charles W. Foster, whose son Charles Foster (1828—1go4), governor of the state from 188o to 1884 and secretary of the United States treasury from 1891 to 1893, did much to pro-mote its growth. Fostoria was chartered as a city in 1854.
End of Article: FOSTORIA
[back]
STEPHEN COLLINS FOSTER (1826-1864)
[next]
JOHN FOTHERGILL (1712—1780)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.