Online Encyclopedia

FULTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V11, Page 300 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FULTON, a city of Oswego county, New York, U.S.A., on the right bank of the Oswego river, about Io m. S. by E. of Oswego. Pop. (1900) 5281; (1905, state census) 8847; (1910) 10,480. Fulton is served by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the New York Central & Hudson River, and the New York, Ontario & Western railways, by electric railway to Oswego and Syracuse and by the Oswego Canal. The city has a Carnegie library. Ample water-power is furnished by the Oswego river, which here flows in a series of rapids, and the manufactures are many in kind. On the 3rd of July 1756, on an island (afterward called Battle Island) 4 M. N. of the present city of Fulton, a British force of about 300 under Captain John Bradstreet (1711—1774) defeated an attacking force of French and Indians (numberingabout 700) under De Villiers. Soon after this, Bradstreet built a fort within the present limits of Fulton. The first civilian settler came in 1793, and the first survey (which included only a part of the subsequent village) was made in 1815. Fulton was incorporated as a village in 1835, and in April 1902 was combined with the village of Oswego Falls (pop. in 1900, 2925) and was chartered as a city.
End of Article: FULTON
[back]
HCNO FULMINIC ACID
[next]
ROBERT FULTON (1765—1815)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.