Online Encyclopedia

GARRUCHA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V11, Page 480 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GARRUCHA, a seaport of south-eastern Spain, in the province of Almeria; on the Mediterranean Sea and on the right bank of the river Antas. Pop. (1900) 4461. The harbour of Garrucha,which is defended by an ancient castle, affords shelter to large ships, and is the natural outlet for the commerce of a thriving agricultural and mining district. Despite its small size and the want of railway communication, Garrucha has thus a consider-able trade in lead, silver, copper, iron, esparto grass, fruit, &c. Besides sea-going ships, many small coasters enter in ballast, and clear with valuable cargoes. In 1902, 135 vessels of 390,000 tons entered the harbour, the majority being British or Spanish; and in the same year the value of the exports reached £478,000, and that of the imports L128,000. Both imports and exports trebled their value in the ten years 1892–1902.
End of Article: GARRUCHA
[back]
GARROTE (Spanish for " cudgel ")
[next]
GARSOARD

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.