Online Encyclopedia

GELDERN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V11, Page 558 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GELDERN, a town of Germany, in Rhenish Prussia, on the Niers, 28 m. N. W. of Dusseldorf, at the junction of railways to Wesel and Cologne. Pop. (19o5) 6551. It has an Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches and a town hall with a fine council chamber. Its industries include the manufacture of buttons, shoes, cigars and soap. The town dates from about 11oo and was early an important fortified place; until 1371 it was the residence of the counts and dukes of Gelderland. Having passed to Spain, its fortifications were strengthened by Philip II., but they were razed by Frederick the Great, the town having been in the possession of Prussia since 1703. See Nettesheim, Geschichte der Stadt and des Amtes Geldern (Crefeld, 1863) ; Henrichs, Beitrage zur innern Geschichte der Stadt Geldern (Geldern, 1893) ; and Real, Chronik der Stadt and Umgegend von Geldern (Geldern, 1897).
End of Article: GELDERN
[back]
GELDERS GELDERLAND
[next]
SIR WILLIAM GELL (1777-1836)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.