Online Encyclopedia

GEORGETOWN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V11, Page 751 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GEORGETOWN, a city and the county-seat of Williamson county, Texas, U.S.A., on the San Gabriel river, about 25 M. N. by E. of Austin. Pop. (189o) 2447; (1900) 2790 (6o8 negroes); (1910) 3096. The city is served by the International & Great Northern, and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas rail-ways. Georgetown is the seat of the Southwestern University (Methodist Episcopal, South, co-educational), formed in 1873 (chartered 1875) by the combination of Ruterville College (Methodist Episcopal, at Ruterville, Texas, chartered in 184o, and closed in 1850), McKenzie College (at Clarksville, Texas, founded in 1841 and closed in 1872), Wesleyan College at San Augustine (chartered in 1844, burned a few years later, and not rebuilt), and Soule University at Chapel Hill (chartered in 1856, but closed in 1870). The university includes a fitting school at Georgetown, and a medical department at Dallas, Texas; in 19o9 it had an enrolment of 1037 students. The principal manufactures of Georgetown are cotton and cotton-seed oil, and planing-mill products. In Page Park are mineral springs, whose waters have medicinal qualities similar to the famous Karlsbad waters. The first settlement was made here in 1848; and Georgetown was incorporated as a town in 1866, and was chartered as a city in 189o.
End of Article: GEORGETOWN
[back]
GEORGES DE SCUDERY (16or-1667)
[next]
GEORGIA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.