Online Encyclopedia

GETHSEMANE (Hebr. for " oil-press ")

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V11, Page 911 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GETHSEMANE (Hebr. for " oil-press "), the place to which Jesus and His disciples withdrew on the eve of the Crucifixion. It was evidently an enclosed piece of ground, a plantation rather than a garden in our sense of the word. It lay east of the Kidron and on the lower slope of the mount of Olives, at the foot of which is the traditional site dating from the 4th century and now possessed by the Franciscans. The Grotto of the Agony, a fewhundred yards farther north, is an ancient cave-cistern, now a Latin sanctuary. (See further JERUSALEM.)
End of Article: GETHSEMANE (Hebr. for " oil-press ")
[back]
GETAE
[next]
GETTYSBURG

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.