Online Encyclopedia

GIBARA, or JIBARA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V11, Page 927 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GIBARA, or JIBARA (once " Punta del Yarey " and " Yarey de Gibara "), a north-coast city of Oriente Province, Cuba, 8o m. N.W. of Santiago de Cuba. Pop. (1907) 617o.' It is served by railway to the S.S.W., to Holguin and Cacocum (where it connects with the main line between Santiago and Havana), and is a port of call for the American Munson Line. It lies on a circular harbour, about 1 m. in diameter, which, though open to the N., affords fair shelter. At the entrance to the harbour is San Fernando, an old fort (1817), and the city is very quaint in appearance. At the back of the city are three stone-topped hills, Silla, Pan and Tabla, reputed to be those referred to by Columbus in his journal of his first voyage. Enclosing the town is a stone wall, built by the Spaniards as a defence against attack during the rebellion of 1868-1878. Gibara is the port of Holguin. It exports cedar, rnahogany, tobacco, sugar, tortoise-shell, Indian corn, cattle products, coco-nuts and bananas; and is the centre of the banana trade with the United States. Gibara is an old settlement, but it did not rise above the status of a petty village until after 1817; its importance dates from the opening of the port to commerce in 1827.
End of Article: GIBARA, or JIBARA
[back]
ADAM GIB (1714-1788)
[next]
GIBBON

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.