Online Encyclopedia

GIVORS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 56 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GIVORS, a manufacturing town of south-eastern France, in the department of Rhone, on the railway between Lyons and St Etienne, 14 M. S. of Lyon. Pop. (1906) 11,444. It is situated on the right bank of the Rhone, here crossed by a suspension bridge, at its confluence with the Gier and the canal of Givors, which starts at Grand Croix on the Gier, some 13 M. distant. The chief industries are metal-working, engineering-construction and glass-working. There are coal mines in the vicinity. On the hill overlooking the town are the ruins of the chateau of St Gerald and of the convent of St Ferreol, remains of the old town destroyed in 1594.
End of Article: GIVORS
[back]
GIVET
[next]
GJALLAR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.