Online Encyclopedia

GLAUCHAU

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 115 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GLAUCHAU, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Saxony, on the right bank of the Mulde, 7 M. N. of Zwickau and 17 W. of Chemnitz by rail. Pop. (1875) 21,743; (1905) 24,556. It has important manufactures of woollen and half-woollen goods, in regard to which it occupies a high position in Germany. There are also dye-works, print-works, and manufactories of paper, linen, thread and machinery. Glauchau possesses a high grade school, elementary schools, a weaving school, an orphanage and an infirmary. Some portions of the extensive old castle date from the 12th century, and the Gottesacker church contains interesting antiquarian relics. Glauchau was founded by a colony of Sorbs and Wends, and belonged to the lords of Schonburg as early as the 12th century. See R. Hofmann, Riickblick fiber die Geschichte der Stadt Glauchau (1897).
End of Article: GLAUCHAU
[back]
JOHANN RUDOLF GLAUBER (1604-1668)
[next]
GLAUCONITE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.