Online Encyclopedia

GLENS FALLS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 121 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GLENS FALLS, a village of Warren county, New York, U.S.A., 55 M. N. of Troy, on the Hudson river. Pop. (189o) 9509; (1900) 12,613, of whom 1762 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 15,243. Glens Falls is served by the Delaware & Hudson and the Hudson Valley (electric) railways. The village contains a state armoury, the Crandall free public library, a Y.M.C.A. building, the Park hospital, an old ladies' home, and St Mary's (Roman Catholic) and Glens Falls (non-sectarian) academies. There are two private parks, open to the public, and a water-works system is maintained by the village. An iron bridge crosses the river just below the falls, connecting Glens Falls and South Glens Falls (pop. in 191o, 2247). The falls of the Hudson here furnish a fine water-power, which is utilized, in connexion with steam and electricity, in the manufacture of lumber, paper and wood pulp, women's clothing, shirts, collars and cuffs, &c. In 1905 the village's factory products were valued at $4,780,331. About 12 M. above Glens Falls, on the Hudson, a massive stone dam has been erected; here electric power, distributed to a large area, is generated. In the neighbourhood of Glens Falls are valuable quarries of black marble and limestone, and lime, plaster and Portland cement works. Glens Falls was settled about the close of the French and Indian War (1763), and was incorporated as a village in 1839.
End of Article: GLENS FALLS
[back]
GLENGARRIFF, or GLENGARIFF (" Rough Glen ")
[next]
GLENTILT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.