Online Encyclopedia

GOPPINGEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 245 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GOPPINGEN, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, on the right bank of the Fils, 22 M. E.S.E. of Stuttgart on the railway to Friedrichshafen. Pop. (1905) 20,870. It possesses a castle built, partly with stones from the ruined castle of Hohenstaufen, by Duke Christopher of Wurttemberg in the 16th century and now used as public offices, two Evangelical churches, a Roman Catholic church, a synagogue, a classical school, and a modern school. The manufactures are considerable and include linen and woollen cloth, leather, glue, paper and toys. There are machine shops and tanneries in the town. Three m. N. of the town are the ruins of the castle of Hohenstaufen. Goppingen originally belonged to the house of Hohenstaufen, and in 1270 came into possession of the counts of Wurttemberg. It was surrounded by walls in 1129, and was almost entirely rebuilt after a fire in 1782. See Pfeiffer, Beschreibung and Geschichte der Stadt Goppingen (1885).
End of Article: GOPPINGEN
[back]
GOPHER (Testudo polyphemus)
[next]
GORAKHPUR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.