Online Encyclopedia

GOWRIE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 303 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GOWRIE, a belt of fertile alluvial land (Scotice, " carse ") of Perthshire, Scotland. Occupying the northern shore of the Firth of Tay, it has a generally north-easterly trend and extends from the eastern boundaries of Perth city to the confines of Dundee. It measures 15 M. in length, its breadth from the river towards the base of the Sidlaw Hills varying from 2 to 4 M. Probably it is a raised beach, submerged until a comparatively recent period. Although it contained much bog land and stagnant water as late as the 18th century, it has since been drained and cultivated, and is now one of the most productive tracts in Perthshire. The district is noteworthy for the number of its castles and mansions, almost wholly residential, among which may be mentioned Kinfauns Castle, Inchyra House, Pitfour Castle, Errol Park, Megginch Castle, dating from 1575; Fingask Castle, Kinnaird Castle, erected in the 15th century and occupied by James VI. in 1617; Rossie Priory, the seat of Lord Kinnaird; and Huntly Castle, built by the 3rd earl of Kinghorne.
End of Article: GOWRIE
[back]
GOWN
[next]
3RD EARL OF JOHN RUTHVEN GOWRIE (c. 1577-1600)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.