Online Encyclopedia

GRAFTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 317 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GRAFTON, a city and the county-seat of Taylor county, West Virginia, U.S.A., on Tygart river, about zoo m. by rail S.E. of Wheeling. Pop, (189o) 3159; (1900) 5650, including 226 foreign-born and 162 negroes; (1910) 7563. It is served by four divisions of the Baltimore & Ohio railway, which maintains extensive car shops here. The city is about z000 ft. above sea-level. It has a small national cemetery, and about 4 M. W., at Pruntytown, is the West Virginia Reform School. Grafton is situated near large coal-fields, and is supplied with natural gas. Among its manufactures are machine-shop and foundry products, window gldss and pressed glass ware, and grist mill and planing-mill products. The first settlement was made about 1852, and Grafton was incorporated in 1856 and chartered as a city in 1898. In 1903 the population and area of the city were increased by the annexation of the town of Fetterman (pop. in woo, 796), of Beaumont (unincorporated), and of other territory.
End of Article: GRAFTON
[back]
GRAFT (a modified form of the earlier " grail," thr...
[next]
DUKES OF GRAFTON

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.