Online Encyclopedia

GRANDSON (Ger. Grandsee)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 350 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GRANDSON (Ger. Grandsee), a town in the Swiss canton of Vaud, near the south-western end of the Lake of Neuchatel, and by rail 20 m. S.W. of Neuchatel and 3 M. N. of Yverdo.n. Its population in 1900 was 1771, mainly French-speaking and Protestant. Its ancient castle was long the home of a noted race of barons, while in the very old church (once belonging to a Benedictine monastery) there are a number of Roman columns, &c., from Avenches and Yverdon. It has now a tobacco factory. Its lords were vassals of the house of Savoy, till in 1475 the castle was taken by the Swiss at the beginning of their war with Charles the Bold, duke of Burgundy, whose ally was the duchess of Savoy. It was retaken by Charles in February 1476, and the garrison put to death. The Swiss hastened to revenge this deed, and in a famous battle (2nd March 1476) defeated Charles with great loss, capturing much booty. The scene of the battle was between Concise and Corcelles, north-east of the town, and is marked by several columns, perhaps ancient menhirs. Grandson was thence-forward till 1798 ruled in common by Berne and Fribourg, and then was given to the canton du Leman, which in 1803 became that of Vaud. See F. Chabloz, La Bataille de Grandson (Lausanne, 1897).
End of Article: GRANDSON (Ger. Grandsee)
[back]
GRANDMONTINES
[next]
FRANCOIS MARIUS GRANET (1777-1849)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.