Online Encyclopedia

GROSSENHAIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 617 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GROSSENHAIN, a town in the kingdom of Saxony, 20 M. N. from Dresden, on the main line of railway (via Elsterwerda) to Berlin and at the junction of lines to Priestewitz and Frankforton-Oder. Pop. (1905) 12,015. It has an Evangelical church, a modern and a commercial school, a library and an extensive public park. The industries are very important, and embrace manufactures of woollen and cotton stuffs, buckskin, leather, glass and machinery. Grossenhain was originally a Sorb settlement. It was for a time occupied by the Bohemians, by whom it was strongly fortified. It afterwards came into the possession of the margraves of Meissen, from whom it was taken in 1312 by the margraves of Brandenburg. It suffered considerably in all the great German wars, and in 1744 was nearly destroyed by fire. On the 16th of May 1813, a battle took place here between the French and the Russians. See G. W. Schuberth, Chronik der Stadi Grossenhain (Grossenhain, 1887—1892).
End of Article: GROSSENHAIN
[back]
JULIUS WALDEMAR GROSSE (1828—1902)
[next]
ROBERT GROSSETESTE (c. 1175—1253)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.