Online Encyclopedia

GUALDO TADINO (anc. Tadinum, z m. to ...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 647 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GUALDO TADINO (anc. Tadinum, z m. to the W.), a town and episcopal see of Umbria, Italy, 1755 ft. above sea-level, in the province of Perugia, 22 m. N. of Foligno by rail. Pop. (19o1), town, 4440; commune, 10,756. The suffix Tadino distinguishes it from Gualdo in the province of Macerata, and Gualdo Cattaneo, S.W. of Foligno. The cathedral has a good rose-window and possesses, like several of the other churches, 15th-century paintings by Umbrian artists, especially works by Niccolo Alunno. The town is still surrounded by walls. The ancient Tadinum lay z m. to the W. of the modern town. It is mentioned in the Eugubine tablets (see IGUvIUM) as a hostile city against which imprecations are directed. In its neighbourhood Narses defeated and slew Totila in 552. No ruins are now visible, though they seem to have been extant in the 17th century. The new town seems to have been founded in 1237. It was at first independent, but passed under Perugia in 1292, and later became dependent on the duchy of Spoleto.
End of Article: GUALDO TADINO (anc. Tadinum, z m. to the W.)
[back]
GUAIACUM
[next]
GUALEGUAY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.