Online Encyclopedia

GUALEGUAYCHU

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 648 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GUALEGUAYCHU, a prosperous commercial and industrial town and port of the province of Entre Rios, Argentine Republic, on the left bank of the Gualeguaychl river, 11 m. above its confluence with the Uruguay, and 12o m. N. of Buenos Aires. Pop. (1892, est.) 14,000. It is the chief town of a department of the same name, the largest in the province. A bar at the mouth of the river prevents the entrance of larger vessels and compels the transfer of cargoes to and from lighters. The town is surrounded by a rich grazing country, and exports cattle, jerked beef, mutton, hides, pelts, tallow, wool and various by-products. A branch line running N. connects with the Entre Rios railways at Basavilbaso. The town was founded in 1783.
End of Article: GUALEGUAYCHU
[back]
GUALEGUAY
[next]
CARDINAL GUALO (fl. 1216)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.