Online Encyclopedia

HAMM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 896 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HAMM,. a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Westphalia, on the Lippe, 19 M. by rail N.E. from Dortmund on the main line Cologne-Hanover. Pop. (19o5) 38430. It is surrounded by pleasant promenades occupying the site of the former engirdling fortifications. The principal buildings are four Roman Catholic and three Evangelical churches, several schools and an infirmary. The town is flourishing and rapidly increasing, and possesses very extensive wire factories (in connexion with which there are puddling and rolling works), machine works, and manufactories of gloves, baskets, leather, starch, chemicals, varnish, oil and beer. Near the town are some thermal baths. Hamm, which became a town about the end of the 12th century, was originally the capital of the countship of Mark, and was fortified in 1226. It became a member of the Hanseatic League. In 1614 it was besieged by the Dutch, and it was several times taken and retaken during the Thirty Years' War. In 1666 it came into the possession of Brandenburg. In 1761 and 1762 it was bombarded by the French, and in 1763 its fortifications were dismantled.
End of Article: HAMM
[back]
HANNIBAL HAMLIN (1809-189x)
[next]
HAMMAD

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.