Online Encyclopedia

HARDERWYK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V12, Page 942 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HARDERWYK, a seaport in the province of Gelderland, Holland, on the shores of the Zuider Zee, 17 M. by rail N.N.E. of Amersfoort. Pop. (1900) 7425. It is a quaint old town, approached by a fine avenue of trees, and standing in the midst of a patch of fertile ground. Harderwyk is chiefly important as being the depot for recruits for the Dutch colonial army. It contains a small fort and large barracks. The principal buildings are the town hall, with some ancient furniture, a large 15th century church with a notable square tower, a municipal orphan-age, and the Nassau-Veluwe gymnasium. Agriculture, fishing, and a few domestic industries form the only employment of the inhabitants. As a seaport its trade is now confined exclusively to the Zuider Zee.
End of Article: HARDERWYK
[back]
PRINCE KARL AUGUST VON HARDENBERG (1750-1822)
[next]
HARDICANUTE [more correctly HARDACNUT] (c. 1019-104...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.