Online Encyclopedia

HASLINGDEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 51 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HASLINGDEN, a market-town and municipal borough in the Rossendale and Heywood parliamentary divisions of Lancashire, England, 19 m. N. by W. from Manchester by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway. Pop. (roof), 18,543. It lies in a hillydistriet on the borders of the forest of Rossendale, and is supposed by some to derive its name from the hazel trees which formerly abounded in its neighbourhood. The old town stood on the slope of a bill, but the modern part has extended about its base. The parish church of St James was rebuilt in 178o, with the exception of the tower, which dates from the time of Henry VIII. The woollen manufacture was formerly the staple. The town, however, steadily increasing in importance, has cotton, woollen and engineering works—coal-mining, quarrying and brickmaking are carried on in the neighbourhood. The borough, as incorporated in 1891, comprised several townships and parts of townships, but under the Local Government Act of 1894 these were united into one civil parish. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 8196 acres.
End of Article: HASLINGDEN
[back]
HASLEMERE
[next]
HASPE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.