Online Encyclopedia

HELENSBURGH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 220 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HELENSBURGH, a municipal and police burgh and watering-place of Dumbartonshire, Scotland, on the N. shore of the Firth of Clyde, opposite Greenock, 24 M. N.W. of Glasgow by the North British railway. Pop. (19o1) 8J54. There is a station at Upper Helensburgh on the West Highland railway, and from the railway pier at Craigendoran there is steamer communication with Garelochhead, Dunoon and other pleasure resorts on the western coast. In 1776 the site began to be built upon, and in 1802 the town, named after Lady Helen, wife of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, the ground landlord, was erected into a burgh of barony, under a provost and council. The public buildings include the burgh hall, municipal buildings, Hermitage. schools and two hospitals. On the esplanade stands an obelisk to Henry Bell, the pioneer of steam navigation, who died at Helensburgh in 1830.
End of Article: HELENSBURGH
[back]
ST HELENA (c. 247-c. 327)
[next]
HELENUS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.