Online Encyclopedia

HELSINGBORG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 252 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HELSINGBORG, a seaport of Sweden in the district (ldn) of Malmohus, 35 M. N. by E. of Copenhagen by rail and water. Pop. (1900), 24,670. It is beautifully situated at the narrowest part of Oresund, or the Sound, here only 3 M. wide, opposite Helsingor (Elsinore) in Denmark. Above the town the brick tower of a former castle crowns a hill, commanding a fine view over the Sound. On the outskirts are the Oresund Park, gardens containing iodide and bromide springs, and frequented sea-baths. On the coast to the north is the royal chdleau of Sofiero; to the south, the small spa of Ramlosa. A system of electric trams is maintained. North and east of Helsingborg lies the only coal-field in Sweden, extending into the lofty Kullen peninsula, which forms the northern part of the east shore of the Sound. Potter's clay is also found. Helsingborg ranks among the first manufacturing towns of Sweden, having copper works, using ore from Sulitelma in Norway, india-rubber works and breweries. The artificial harbour has a depth of 24 ft., and there are extensive docks. The chief exports are timber, butter and iron. The town is the headquarters of the first army division. The original site of the town is marked by the tower of the old fortress, which is first mentioned in 1135. In the 14th century it was several times besieged. From 1370 along with other towns in the province of Skane, it was united for fifteen years with the Hanseatic League. The fortress was destroyed by fire in 1418, and about 1425 Eric XIII. built another near the sea, and caused the town to be transported thither, bestowing upon it important privileges. Until 1658 it belonged to Denmark, and it was again occupied by the Danes in 1676 and 1677. In 1684 its fortifications were dismantled. It was taken by Frederick IV. of Denmark in November 1709, but on the 28th of February 1710 the Danes were defeated in the neighbourhood, and the town came finally into the possession of Sweden, though in 1711 it was again bombarded by the Danes. A tablet on the quay commemorates the landing of Bernadotte after his election as successor to the throne in 181o.
End of Article: HELSINGBORG
[back]
SIR ARTHUR HELPS (1813-1875)
[next]
HELSINGFORS (Finnish Helsinki)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.