Online Encyclopedia

HERNE BAY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 372 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HERNE BAY, a seaside resort in the St Augustine's parliamentary division of Kent, England, 8 m. N. by E. of Canterbury, on the South Eastern and Chatham railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 6726. It has grown up since 183o, above a sandy and pebbly shore, and has a pier ; m. long. The church of St Martin in the village of Herne, 14 m. inland, Ridley (1538), afterwards Bishop of London. At Reculver, 3 M. E. of Herne Bay on the coast, is the site of the Roman station of Regulbium. The fortress occupied about 8 acres, but only traces of the south and east walls remain. In Saxon times it was converted into a palace by King Ethelbert, and in 669 a monastery was founded here by Egbert. The Early English church was taken down early in the 19th century owing to the encroachment of the sea, and parts of its fabric were preserved in the modern church of St Mary. But its twin towers, known as the Sisters from the tradition that they were built by a Benedictine abbess of Faversham in memory of her sister, were preserved by Trinity House as a conspicuous landmark.
End of Article: HERNE BAY
[back]
HERNE
[next]
HERNE THE HUNTER

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.