Online Encyclopedia

HERNOSAND

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 374 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HERNOSAND, a seaport of Sweden, chief town of the district (lan) of Vesternorrland on the Gulf of Bothnia. Pop. (19oo) 789o. It stands on the' island of Herno (which is connected with the mainland by bridges) near the mouth of the Angerman river, 423 M. N. of Stockholm by rail. It is the seat of a bishop and possesses a fine cathedral. There are engine-works, timber-yards and saw-mills. The harbour is good, but generally ice-bound from December to May. Timber, iron and wood-pulp are exported. There are a school of navigation and an institute for pisciculture. Hernosand was founded in 1584, and received itsfirst town-privileges from John III. in 1587. It was the first town in Europe to be lighted by electricity (1885). The poet Franzen (q.v.), Bishop of HernSsand, is buried here.
End of Article: HERNOSAND
[back]
HERNICI
[next]
HERO (Gr. open)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.