Online Encyclopedia

HILLAH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 467 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HILLAH, a town of Asiatic Turkey, in the pashalik of Bagdad, 6o m. S. of the city of Bagdad, in 32° 28' 35" N., 44 48' 401" E., formerly the capital of a sanjak and the residence of a mutasserif, who in 1893 was transferred to Diwanieh. It is situated on both banks of the Euphrates, the two parts of the town being connected by a floating bridge, 450 ft. in length, in the midst of a very fertile district. The estimated population, which includes a large number of Jews, varies from 6000 to 12,000. The town has suffered much from the periodical breaking of the Hindieh dam and the consequent deflection of the waters of the Euphrates to the westward, as a result of which at times the Euphrates at this point has been entirely dry. This deflection of water has also seriously interfered with the palm groves, the cultivation of which constitutes a large part of the industry of the surrounding country along the river. The bazaars of Hillah are relatively large and well supplied. Many of the houses in the town are built of brick, not a few bearing an inscription of Nebuchadrezzar, obtained from the ruins of Babylon, which lie less than an hour away to the north.
End of Article: HILLAH
[back]
SIR ROWLAND HILL (1795-1879)
[next]
GEORGE STILLMAN HILLARD (1808-1879)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.