Online Encyclopedia

HILLSDALE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 469 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HILLSDALE, a city and the county-seat of Hillsdale county, Michigan, L.S.A., about 87 m. W. by S. of Detroit. Pop. (1000) 4151, of whom 300 were foreign-born; (1904) 4809; (101o) 5oo1. Hillsdale is served by the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railway. It has a public library, and is the seat of Hillsdale College (co-educational, Free Baptist), which was opened as Michigan Central College, at Spring Arbor, Michigan. in 1844, was removed to Hillsdale and received its present name in 1853 and was re-opened here in 1855. The college in 1907-1908 had 22 instructors and 345 students. The city is a centre for a rich farming region; among its manufactures are gasoline and gas engines, screen doors, wagons, barrels, shoes, fur-coats and flour. Hillsdale was first settled in 1837, was incorporated as a village in 1847, and was chartered as a city in 1869.
End of Article: HILLSDALE
[back]
NICHOLAS HILLIARD (c. 1537–1619)
[next]
JOHN HILTON (1804–1878)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.