Online Encyclopedia

HINCKLEY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 476 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HINCKLEY, a market town in the Bosworth parliamentary division of Leicestershire, England, 142 m. S.W. from Leicester on the Nuneaton-Leicester branch of the London & North-Western railway, and near the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal. Pop. of urban district (1901), 11,304. The town is well situated on a considerable eminence. Among the principal buildings are the church of St Mary, a Decorated and Perpendicular structure, with lofty tower and spire; the Roman Catholic academy named St Peter's Priory, and a grammar school. The ditch of a castle erected by Hugh de Grentismenil in the time of William Rufus is still to be traced. Hinckley is the centre of a stocking-weaving district, and its speciality is circular hose. It also possesses a boot-making industry, brick and tile works, and lime works. There are mineral springs in the neighbourhood.
End of Article: HINCKLEY
[back]
FREDERICK HENRY HIMMEL (1765-1814)
[next]
EDWARD HINCKS (1792-1866)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.