Online Encyclopedia

HINGHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 515 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HINGHAM, a township of Plymouth county, Massachusetts, U.S.A., on Massachusetts Bay. Pop (1890) 4564; (1900) 5059 (969 being foreign-born); (1905, state census) 4819; (1910) 4965. Area, about 30 sq. in. The township is traversed by the New York, New Haven & Hartford railway, and contains the villages of Hingham, West Hingham, Hingham Center, and South Hingham. Derby Academy, a co-educational school founded and endowed with about £12,000 in 1784 by Sarah Derby (1714–1790), was opened in 1791. Hingham has a public library (1868), with 12,000 volumes in 1908. The Old Meeting House, erected in 1681, is one of the oldest church buildings in the country used continuously. Manufactures were relatively much more important in the 17th and 18th centuries than since. There were settlers here as early as 1633, some of them—notably Edmund Hobart, ancestor of Bishop John Henry Hobart,—being natives of Hingham, Norfolk, England, whence the name; and in 1635 common land called Barecove became the township of Hingham. See History of the Town of Hingham (4 vols., Hingham, 1893).
End of Article: HINGHAM
[back]
HINGE (in Mid. Eng. henge or heeng, from hengen, to...
[next]
HERMANN FRIEDRICH WILHELM HINRICHS (1794–1861)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.