Online Encyclopedia

HIRSON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 525 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HIRSON, a town of northern France in the department of Aisne, 35 in. by rail N.E. of Laon, on the Oise. Pop. (1906) 8335. It occupies an important strategic position close to the point of intersection of several railway lines, and not far from the Belgian frontier. For its defence there are a permanent fort and two batteries, near the railway junction. The town carries on the manufacture of glass bottles, tiles, iron and tin goods, wool-spinning and brewing.
End of Article: HIRSON
[back]
SAMSON RAPHAEL HIRSCH (r8o8-1888)
[next]
AULUS HIRTIUS (c. 90-43 B.C.)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.